Ted Applewaite arrived in Stewart serving in the army during the First World War.
When Stewart was incorporated in 1930 he became the Stewart Village Clerk with his office upstairs in the present Stewart Museum. Ted was the Secretary of the Stewart Board of Trade, a Notary Public, sold insurance and helped anyone with a problem. As a serviceman he was a member of the Canadian Legion, the local Scout Master, Director of the Drama Club and was usually appointed as the Secretary of every non paying committee in town.
In 1930 he married Mrs. Dorothy A Cameron. Mrs. Cameron had been the wife of Stewart’s third Postmaster who had died in 1927. After Mr. Cameron’s death Dorothy was appointed to the position of postmaster which she retained until her marriage to Ted.
The Applewhaite family lived in the house on 7th Street that is one of the oldest houses in Stewart. Mr. & Mrs. Baker, who left Stewart in 1915, lived in this house before the Cameron’s. While Dorothy and Ted did not have any children, Dorothy had three children from her previous marriage. Eric the oldest son resided in Kellogg, Idaho. The daughter, Phyllis married Jack Grey. William (Billie) C, the youngest joined the R.C.A.F. and as a member of the crew of a patrol aircraft was lost to enemy action in the Indian Ocean.
Mr. & Mrs. Applewhaite left Stewart to take up residence in Prince Rupert in 1942. Ted was appointed the Secretary of the Prince Rupert Board of Trade.
He continued to sell Sun Life Assurance and took an active role in federal Liberal affairs. In June 1946 he was elected to Parliament to represent the residents in the Skeena Riding. He was re-elected in 1953 and was appointed to the position of Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons.
After the completion of his second term in Ottawa he was appointed as a Stipendiary Magistrate at Prince Rupert Ted died in Prince Rupert on September 12. 1964 at the age of 65.
PO Box 665
Canada V0T 1W0